Thursday, May 31, 2007

2yrs at Dresser..


It has been two years since I started working for Dresser Inc. I can safely say that, these two years have been more educative and more interactive in terms of understanding the industrial and engineering process than my college days.

Two years back, I was demoralized and was low on confidence after having not been picked in two of interviews. This was the only opportunity I had and competition was pretty intense. But, I was favored against the other eight competitors and believe me, felt pretty happy to be chosen by a reputed company as well was petrified to step into corporate world. It is my first job and first jobs are always informative and instructional. Learning curve for me was smooth and simple. My colleagues were very much patient in making me understand things better. They explained me each and every bit of the process we follow here.

I still remember my first day; I was given all the company catalogues and asked to go through them to understand the products of the company. I wasn’t comfortable right from the beginning of the day. It was too early to be at work at that time (I used to get up around 10AM) and reading was the one habit that I had given up long back and in my cubicle AC was running cold and it was quite all around, so what would you do… take a nap. It became a Herculean task to be there awake and alert through out the day. It took me couple of weeks to get adjusted to the timings and that was the first and best lesson.

Apart from getting up in the morning and remaining awake during the work, I learned so many things; I mean things related to engineering. During these two years many things were changed. Few people left the company, and few were let go. Every time, someone left the company, I was terrified to continue at work, but it’s just the way of life, no matter what, the show must go on. Every time I learned something new I ended up thinking where I was when these were discussed or told.
Anyway, I am very much happy with my work and the way I developed the rapport with my colleagues and I hope they also feel the same. After two yrs of experience, I feel confident and I am all ready to take new challenges and hope to have a smooth and shining career ahead.

No comments: