Friday, October 12, 2007

Five Point Someone - Chetan Bhagat


“Five point someone”, this is the first novel in my life that I have read completely without any interruptions. FPS is penned down by Chetan Bhagath, a former IITan (IIT-Delhi), and incidentally FPS was his first attempt at writing. FPS is the story of three IIT students who found difficult to cope up with the hectic schedule of IIT and ended up falling into the zone of five point range GPA.

FPS starts with day one of IIT life of three friends, Alok, Hari and Ryan. They start their IIT career with a disaster and continue to build their heap of increasing declinations. Amazing thing is that they always back themselves up even though they are stuck deep in the mud of failures. It is not that they are dumb or dull in grasping the knowledge; they get carried away with unwarranted habits of teenage. They soak fullest in the stinky fountain of youth. IIT, the impression that we have on this institution would not reflect even a bit in the lives of these three young ruffians. It starts with the first day of their college life and ends on the day they all graduate from IIT. It talks about different kinds of transformation underwent by these three students, the classes, assignment, mugging, exams, cigarettes, boozing, movies and of course, girls.

The novel was an easy to read kind one, especially for people like me (I am not really into this novel reading). It was written in simple English and each chapter is short and sweet. Even though, it sounds interesting till the end, I am not really inclined with the way novel ended. The climax seems too cinematic. Looks like author wanted to end the novel on a happy note and he tried not to ruin the impression of IIT by showing the protagonists as failures. But the way the whole novel runs makes us to forget this as a small pebble in the grassy path of garden.

The only reason I have read this novel is the strong recommendation by a friend. The person strongly insisted that characters in the novel would remind me of my college days and I readily agree that now. It surely reminded me of my college days, not just in one instance or in one chapter, most of the time, through out the novel. That could be one of the reasons which made me to read the book in one try.

No comments: