Friday, March 30, 2007

My Perspective on 'Culture'.


One fine day during my engineering at Osmania University, I had this argument with one of my friends. Even though, it all started as mere discussion, but one thing led to another and ended up in a heated argument, resulting in no conclusion. The main topic of the argument was comparison of cultures. We took sides on different cultures. I was all supporting the American culture, in other words, Western culture, and was pointing at the imperfections of culture of India. On the other side, my friend was giving his shoulder to the culture of India.

Whenever I think about that incident, which happened seven years ago, brings a smirk on my face. I have been living in US for, almost, five years now. I feel I have learned so many things, which I did not even think existed here. I can say, I cultured enough about the Western culture. I feel I was being an amateur while discussing (probably in arguing) the differences in culture. At that point, I feel, I was not ready to accept the defeat. May be I was not ready look myself into mirror and realize the dark side of my face. So the preparation itself was an appalling one. I think the very first step to maturity is accepting the one’s own flaws, deficiencies or defects, if it’s proved correctly. The very motif of a discussion should be exchanging the ideas, understating the different opinions and analyzing the different views or observations. The discussion should always be a constructive one, if not, it should not be a destructive or an unhelpful/ or an unpleasant argument. There won’t be any positive outcomes in discussing with the people who are prepared not to acknowledge the positive intent in others. I feel I was very much like the person I explained here. I was not ready to accept my flaws; I was not ready to let my friend share his views. I was adamant, unbending, inflexible and stubborn, or headstrong.

After all these years, I feel I am wise enough to express my view or comment my feeling on that very topic. I feel culture is an individual thing. A culture develops over a period of time. A culture develops based on different conditions, may be geographical, it all depends the living conditions and resources available. In my view, comparing any two cultures would be an imbecilic act. No culture is ideal. Every culture has merits and demerits in its own way. After a certain point one should realize that no culture is better than any other. It is an absolute waste of time in praising one culture and pointing fingers at other. Most of my opinions I put forth during my argument with my friend, were taken from a movie/medium or heard from others. The media has always misguided the people in showing the other culture in accordance to their advantage. Hence, these differences. These differences can be altered. It is the people, who have to work truthfully, candidly to make a good culture, a better one. And an astute person is the one who learns the subtle difference between a culturist and a jingoist.
Culture is nothing but the way you live, they way you represent yourself, the way you receive others, they way you respect others, they way you show your feel for others. In other words, you are the 'culture'.

No comments: