Friday, June 08, 2007

When a Stranger Calls..


These days I am always late to work. No matter how hard I try to be on time, I end up being late. I hate to be pointed out. I was not like this before. I am late to work coz I am getting up late in the morning, and I am getting up late only because I am going to bed late. I am going to bed late because, I am spending most of my after work time on my cell phone, speaking to a stranger.

Is this happening everyday? Yes, I have been more on phone these days, I mean way more than I ever had been. I prefer to speak to someone on phone rather than meeting in person. I feel more comfortable in speaking to the person on phone as there are no appearance problems or presentation problems. I can go on and on forever on phone (only if the other person is of my choice). The other reason could be scarcity of friends in my place. I don’t get to speak to anybody here, so if I find one I won’t leave until I am out of my topics. Among these phone calls, I like speaking to strangers. I really love it, as you have whole lot of things to discuss on. He/she doesn’t know anything about you, so the show has to start right from beginning. It’s like inviting me to dinner and asking me to pick the menu. I can pick the topic and I can cut the topic in between. I am like king of my domain. I am like host and guest of my own talk show. And the best part is they have to listen to all my crap and wait for their turn to say bye. I like when I see my cell phone ringing, displaying a new number, it is like gates of a dam opened up for the water to stream thru and jump up and down till they get subdued.

Why don’t I get this feeling with my old friends? Well, the first reason is they are old, I mean they know all your tricks and vice versa. It’s like, as Seinfeld says, two magicians trying to trick each other. Even before you start to work on a trick, you will get a response that you don’t expect in response; it’s more like a rebuke. It’s just a futile effort. There are some other friends who are friends with you since longtime but you don’t know anything about them. I feel there are some relationships, which might be old, but definitely not as strong as you expect them to be. These are like season special, if it is cold outside, you wear a jacket, if it is hot, you just take it off.

Anyway, I don’t think it’s strange that I like calls from strangers, but the real problem is getting a call from stranger. I can’t ask someone to call me on my cell phone. If I could ask some one then he/she wouldn’t be a stranger, would he?
(I believe, I do have some friends with whom, even after these many years, I can still go on and on, and those can simply ignore this.)

1 comment:

Shumani said...

Umm nice to know that u love phone calls & prefer it more. I personally dont like phone calls coz I think they make u confused about other peoples perspective & their reaction to u'r talk.We some times mistake & assume all wrong when u feel their stilted tone etc...which could be coz of many reasons. So..

I will rather choose messaging or chating on line than phone conversation where u know nothing about the person except what he is trying to say.Next best thing would be meeting a person as in person, where u know everything about him/her.