Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Farewell Reception..


That day July 3rd 2003, I was tired as I had been at work since 6AM in the morning. Everybody was in festive mood. People were buying liquor and getting ready for the long weekend. I was so hungry and I went straight to Chinese buffet after I got off from work and ate up to the brim of my throat. At the end, I cracked open cookie to see the fortune note. It said “something nice coming in your mail”. Even though, I don’t believe in this stuff, but on that day my alter ego compelled me to rush home to check my mail. I went straight to home and checked my mails, nothing was there. Then I went to see in another source. I had one new email in my inbox. I was all excited and but not anymore after looking at the subject, and the subject was ‘Sorry’ from my cousin. I opened the email and learned that my grand mother passed away that morning.

That mail was disturbing and disruptive. My eyes got wet; I cried out, I screamed, I shedded tears in pain, an unfathomable pain. I called home and broke down in tears for a long time. At that time all I needed was a shoulder to cry on, and I couldn’t even get that. My grand mother was very dear to me. I grew up under her supervision. I was her dearest grandson. She would come to my rescue any time of the day. I believe without her, those shoes would remain unoccupied. It has been four years since she left us; I miss my grand mother very much. I wish I was there during her last breath. During my recent trip to India, I found her picture hanging on the wall. It was perturbing to see her that way. I consider this incident as the most unfortunate one in my life.

I believe she couldn’t stay away from us for longer times, so she came back to us as my niece. Yes, my niece, SIRI, came into this world on the very same day my grand mother left us (of course different years). Siri is a gifted child. She was born with silver spoon in her mouth and always gets that special attention where she goes. Today, we are celebrating her 1st birthday. I wish I could make it home but this distance always prevents me from doing so, but this distance is also helping me grow infectiously affectionate.

Happy birthday SIRI.

1 comment:

Kallu said...

I am sorry abt your Grandmother, but my best wishes to your SIRI.

Nice article and nice expression of feelings buddy........