Monday, July 30, 2007

Procrastination.


Some days are lucky, and some days are like a ride over Atlantic with lot of turbulence in the air. Right when you are enjoying the picturesque blue water of ocean, you hear the announcement over PA about the presence of turbulence. The very moment of luxury becomes a frightening comfort. In the above case you can hardly find a solution to nullify the nature’s act. But there are some circumstances where we can definitely avoid some uneventful moments, but there lies our laziness which constantly backs us up in letting us down and throwing us into unwanted doldrums.

That day I was driving to DMV (dept of Motor Vehicle) to renew my driving license as its expiration was due in one more day. I knew when it would expire, but I waited till the penultimate day to move the things forward. The drive was fine and I parked the car in the lot and just when I was about to get out of the car, I saw a cop standing right at the back of my car with lights flashing on his car. I was perplexed, as I drove obeying the traffic rules. He came up to me and asked for driver’s license and registration, explaining the problem as the expiration of number plate. I was unaware of that. He asked me if I had received any notice from the DMV regarding the renewal of number plate. I said ‘NO’, but deep down I was yelling at myself on my ignorance at the mail from DMV, which I had been avoiding as an error from DMV. Then he glanced my driver’s license and reminded me the expiration date of it. I told him I was there to take care of renewal of license. In the meanwhile cop tried to get a peek on state inspection tag, and he couldn’t believe what he saw. Believe me I was embarrassed to the core. My inspection tag was also expired and expired long back, a year before, to be exact. I am sure that cop was surprised at my freedom with which I had been driving all this time, all over the places. He had no words of sympathy. I had no excuses, and even I stopped to thinking of excuses. I knew there was no escape out. I knew this day would come, but I was always carried by my sluggishness, negligence. The cop, who got tired of my listlessness, issued a citation and reiterated the deadline quite a few times. After that grueling session with cop, I rushed into DMV as it was at the verge of closing. I hurried to the counter and submitted the license and much to my disappointment, I was asked to pay the renewal fee in cash, which I was unaware of, again, and it was exasperating to hear SORRY from the person behind the counter. It was like rubbing salts on my wounds. I was confounded, distressed. Just then I felt I learned lesson of being lazy.

Today, I paid the fine, cleared the ticket. It needed a big check to flush the negligence. And again, I thought, I learned the lesson, but not really, coz I paid the ticket, as I had to pay it today, as it was the last day before I get summoned from court.

(I know, couple of my friends will be furious to learn this fact, but believe me, I am trying my best to get out of this trauma. It is not a habit, it is just a result of lack of motivation.)

No comments: