Friday, April 13, 2007

"Paraskavedekatriaphobia"


'Paraskavedekatriaphobia', the word itself scares the hell out of me. I still wonder how they came up with this word, or with that spelling. I am not really worried about Friday the 13th. For those who don’t know what ‘Paraskavedekatriaphobia’ means, it is the fear of the Friday the 13th. And I am sure I am not the one among those guys as I was not aware of this till recent past.

"It's been estimated that [U.S] $800 or $900 million is lost in business on this day because people will not fly or do business they would normally do."

Wow, it’s amazing to know the affect of this date on the normal people (Can I call them normal). Some people won't go to work on Friday the 13th; some won't eat in restaurants; many wouldn't think of setting a wedding on the date. The incredible thing is fewer people choose to drive their cars on this day as recent survey revealed the increment in no of accidents by 50% compared to the accidents on normal days. Now, you can imagine the impact (Should I say indentation) of the Friday the 13th on common people.

I am not going against any belief or any religion, but the reason behind the fear (as they say) is the presence of 13 people at the last supper and betrayal of one of the dinner guests or disciples resulting in the crucifixion of Jesus Christ on a Friday. It is just a one of the reasons, I am sure there are hundred others.

I don’t know how far this belief is true, because it is just not the one belief that we follow blindly. Whatever may be the fact, I am happy (Should I be?) that I was born at 2:00AM early Saturday morning and the date was 13th, missed by a whisker.

No comments: