Monday, February 05, 2007

Business - Ethics

That day, I went to a bakery to buy some milk. I asked the shop keeper for milk with all the due respect. It took five minutes to get any kind of response from him, even though the store was empty and quiet. And the shop keeper was perfectly alright, physically and mentally (I was hoping so). Then what was the reason for delay? Nothing. All, I could see was shopkeeper’s face with all (UN) necessary answers, deep down shopkeeper felt as if he was saving the society from drowning with his commodities. And is his lunacy, he could not see how frown and furious I was, with irritation and impatience.

This kind of response you get most parts of the India. I used word ‘most parts’, as some of the city businesses are already in transformation towards westernization. What about the rest? Were people impatient before also? And here, by people I mean merchants. As a business man, one should provide the required customer service without fail, even if customer gets aggravated. As one of the fine business men in the world, we should learn the tact of attracting people with patience rather than with dorky face. Other than the business, one of the basic ethics of human beings is to respect and respond to fellow human beings with soft and suave. After all he/she is there to buy the goods, or in other words provide your livelihood.

No comments: