Thursday, February 22, 2007

Freinds

The other day, I was speaking to a friend, who got married recently. The phone calls with him were always long and fascinating, but not anymore. After 5 minutes, I had nothing to speak about. For the first time, I was running short on words, with him. I have never felt this way in 8 years. What made the difference in the phone calls? Knowingly or unknowingly, there developed a barrier between us as a result of his marriage. What happens when a friend gets married? Why do we loose that past touch once our friend gets married?

When I entered engineering college, I felt whole college was my area. I was friends to everybody and vice versa. But, as the time passed by, I had that circle of friends which got smaller and smaller. I can count the number of friends; I had at my graduation, on my fingers. The familiar we got, the further we grew. As my job life started, that number squeezed in more. It got much smaller than it used to be. Previously we used to see everybody everyday. Then, we had long phone calls twice every week. But now, we just exchange information through emails, every now and then, to be accurate, once in a fortnight.

What happened there was, everybody got busy with their own life. Now everyone has their own responsibilities to take care of. Back then, we were like free birds. We just had rights, never worried about responsibilities. Even though, we don’t have that influx of emails, or long phone calls, I still believe that, I can count on him any given day, any given problem.

(to be continued..)

No comments: